The big news around my house yesterday was that thanks to a price promotion from ONEA, Burkina's national drinking water authority, my host family now have a faucet on their property. It means they no longer have to trek to a community faucet twice a day to pump water into their oil-drum-on-wheels, cart it home, decant it into the three large clay urns (canaris), then scoop it into buckets and pots as needed. We can now fill our pitchers, pots, Nalgenes and bathing/washing buckets directly from a tap behind the kitchen. Joel, the family's 20-year-old son, was dismantling the barrel when Nitha and I left this afternoon for the Internet café.
The ONEA promotion lowered the faucet's installation cost to 50,000 CFA francs (about $115 CAD)--I haven't yet had a chance to ask what it cost before. The water costs the same whether you get it from your own faucet or the community one: 60 FCFA (about 15 cents by my rough conversion) a barrel. When I get a chance to go to the downtown Internet café--rather than this one in my neighbourhood, which doesn't allow Nitha to hook up her laptop--I'll post the pictures we took of the occasion, as well as a few others of the family and the neighbourhood.
Having been here two and a half weeks, I can now honestly say I'm starting to feel at home. There are definitely days I'd give anything for a Canadian newspaper and a lake to swim in, but I'm starting to get into my work and feel more comfortable with the way things happen. That's not to say the boys at ANERSER, many of whom lack basic literacy and social skills, aren't a challenge; I may be back at this Internet café an embarrassing amount just to find appropriate activities to do with them. But I feel like I have some meaningful work cut out for me. The boys often spend more time hitting each other than paying attention to a game, but they're friendly to Megan, Nitha and I, and offer genuine thanks for whatever activity we did before we leave for lunch each day. Once I develop a resource base of games, crafts and activites and learn better how to hold their attention and (much as I hate this part) discipline them fairly, I should be good to go. I'll post pictures from work, too, when I get a chance. In the meantime, if anyone has good camp activities that aren't too complicated, competitive or resource-intensive, I would love to have them!
Back to research. A plus tard!
Wednesday, May 31, 2006
Between May and August 2006, I'm in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, on a volunteer placement. Keep checking this page to find out what's up! I'll update it as often as I can.
Previous Posts

<< Home